Savvy Packing Tips to Become the Expert Traveler!
Can you believe that the airlines can charge you up to $175 for overweight bags?! It's absolutely crazy! I refuse to spend money on paying overweight charges, regardless of how long I'm traveling for. Airline fares are high enough nowadays, so don't let them get you on fees for excess baggage especially as you start packing for your HONEYMOON!
Why worry about spending money on the flight when you can enjoy that on fun new activities to celebrate your newlywed status! I've picked up some really helpful travel tips over the years that I want to share with you. They will not only help you newlyweds pack more efficiently but also SaVe MoNeY, in some cases calories, and most importantly save you lots of hassle!
1. Wear your heaviest pair of shoes on the plane and pack others that easily convert from day-to-night. No one, shoe-lover or not, needs to haul along a dozen pair of shoes!
2. If you are bringing along expensive jewelry, wear it onto the plane and check only your fun costume jewelry. Unless you have some hefty travel and/or personal articles insurance, don't risk it! Also, use a jewelry organizer to keep it all together. Here's a perfect one for $10.56! It's a hanging jewelry organizer from Amazon.com.
3. Just like with shoes, pack a purse that will work well with multiple outfits. My favorite thing to bring along on vacations are small clutches like this BCBG Clutch from Macy's. It's currently marked down from $78 to $34 and comes in black, pewter or pale gold. Leave your big purse and unnecessary items at home! It's less to carry and less to misplace or lose.
4. I learned this one from my Mom! Always wear a sweater or shawl on the plane for travel days since it's often chilly up in the air. Try to wear something that would also compliment your other outfits too in case there's a breeze in the evenings. This tip makes the plane ride more cozy and again, saves weight & space in your suitcase. I really like this classic one at Express.
5. For sleeping, bring only a couple of small pajama sets, t-shirts or nighties. No one needs a different pair for each day! I love Victoria's Secret's cute and comfortable pajamas like this set for $24.99. The same goes for workout clothes, brides and grooms. You really don't need a different set for each day.
6. Toiletries- This is one area I always struggle with because I'm a bit of a make-up and product junkie. Is anyone else's favorite store Sephora? I've found that the best way to keep it under control is to use travel-size bottles. Don't get suckered into buying the branded travel sizes though! I make my own using this travel set for $18. Fill the bottles with your must-have products and top off the leftovers next time... It's easy, spill-proof and saves me tons of space!
7. Don't forget to pack mix-and-match staple items like tanks, tees, classic jeans and leggings so you can create multiple outfits with accessories like jewelry, shoes, sunglasses, etc. By planning ahead you can easily find ways to re-wear multiple items.
Also, I know it's a little time consuming but I always try on my outfits before I go. No one wants to have a dramatic melt-down on vacation because something you brought doesn't fit nicely, etc. My poor husband has had to listen to my whining on multiple occasions when I've neglected to do this ahead of time. Make it easy for you and your husband with this tip! :)
8. I know this sounds totally unnecessary, but I recommend buying a handheld luggage scale for your home. It's a really easy way to make sure you're under the limit before you get to the airport kiosk. Who likes to shuffle items between their suitcases under stress, with everyone in line staring at you? Not me!! Unless of course because they are happy to see a newly married couple taking their honeymoon vacation! Here's the exact Taylor scale we have for $17 on Amazon. It's very accurate and makes things so much easier.
9. Let me preface this next section by saying that I'm not an extreme health nut by any means (I certainly love my carbs and sugars just as much as the next girl!). I do try to choose when to indulge on vacation though or it can get completely out of hand. Normally I'll make healthier choices especially on travel days because I don't want to overdo it before I even get there!
Surprisingly there are lots of healthy options available at airport kiosks including salads, fruit assortments and sandwich wraps. Also remember to B.Y.O.S! That stands for 'Bring Your Own Snacks' :) You'll save a ton of money and calories by packing your own. My favorites tend to be easy items like almonds, cashews or peanuts, apples and 100 calorie packs.
Enjoy your honeymoon travel starting with these tips. I hope you all found them helpful! They've definitely saved me money and stress on all of my vacations. Have any travel tips?! Feel free to share or comment on Forever Bride today!